Sleep has always been one of the biggest mysteries of life: What happens while we are sleeping? What is the meaning of our dreams? Why does not sleeping well affects us that much? Why do we need to sleep at all?
The reality is that we need to sleep for a certain amount of hours and we need to do it well in order to feel good about ourselves, to be able to face new challenges and to be efficient in everything we set out to do.
How many times have you been unable to finish a work due to fatigue, you have reached a point of frustration and those around you have paid for it? And the next day you realize that it was all just a misunderstanding. It’s because, if we do not sleep well, nothing will go how it should, even if we try many times.
That is why as Shambhala Barcelona, we thought of sharing some simple but useful tips with you for a quality sleep.
1. The first tip is very simple and perhaps the most useful one: give the necessary importance to your sleeping hours. If you are not aware of your need to sleep and you respect it, the tips set below will be useless.
2. Do not alter your schedules. It will also help you establishing a routine before going to sleep. At least, half an hour before going to sleep turn off all electronic devices. Start disconnecting from the environment to connect with yourself. Put on your pajamas (it is important that the pajamas are exclusively bed clothes). You can wash your face, put cream on your hands and face with a small massage, brush your teeth, remove earrings, bracelets and watches, etc. In conclusion, it is important that our body perceives that the moment to sleep is approaching.
3. Another key for a good rest is exercising. A minimum of 10000 steps a day will help you to fall asleep much better and to sleep more deeply. Reaching more hours of deep sleep will help you feel better the next day. It is important to maintain a healthy rhythm of life and to reserve some time to exercise. The exercise will also help you to disconnect the mind from the problems in your daily life and thus reach bedtime with another perspective of them.
4. Of course, for a better rest a tidied up and clean environment is essential. You must keep your room in harmony, like a temple, as your personal Shambhala. It is important to ventilate the room well every day, to let the morning sun enter and renews the energy of the room. For feng shui, the disorder generates an erratic energy circulation. A condition to fall asleep is to be able to disconnect from the activity of the day. If the last thing you see before bed is a room upside down, you know you should sort it out, and a part of you will stay focused on this until you do it. It’s called tension, lightweight, but tension.
5. In addition to the rhythm of life, everything we eat and drink directly affects our health and can help or make it more difficult for us to sleep. That’s why, having a healthy diet, avoiding ingesting irritating food before going to bed is important. An infusion (tea) of chamomile, melissa, lavender, passionflower, tila, or lemon, among others, have relaxing and sedative properties. This will help the body to rest better. Adding some honey (containing glucose, which tells the brain to diminish the function of orexin, a substance directly related to wakefulness) will help you even more. Also some foods can help you sleep better. Foods that contain melatonin and serotonin will help as they have properties that act on the nervous system and stimulate the release of chemicals, related to relaxation and better quality of sleep.
So far these are our tips for you to sleep better. We hope that, a quality sleep will make you overcome all the challenges that you fill face during the day.
We will keep updating our blog with useful tips to help you on a regular basis, stay tuned with us. <3